Sunday 8 December 2019

Awareness of Meningitis disease

Mother means huge responsibilities, As a mother, I am always on my toes to protect my children from everything possible. I prefer precaution rather than medication, hence I give all the vaccine doses from time to time. I try to be the strongest mother during the vaccination period, as it becomes a tough time handling my son Hetarth.  I was not aware of the Meningitis disease which could be devastating and life-threatening. When my pediatrician mentioned that it was the perfect time to get the first dose of MCV. I then started my search about Menactra Vaccine. I did online research, spoke to many healthcare professionals and questioned my pediatrician.


Then came to a conclusion that Meningococcal Meningitis is a rare but potentially devastating bacterial infection disease causes inflammation of the fluid and membranes covering the brain and spinal cord. This can kill within hours or cause severe life long disability. This disease has an unpredictable effect, to anyone, at any age, anywhere in the world. Meningitis is caused by Neisseria meningitis bacteria. It commonly presents as an infection of the brain (meningitis) and/or infection of the blood (blood poisoning).

Symptoms are like flu such as irritability, high fever, vomiting, nausea and loss of appetite. If symptoms like stiff neck, severe headache, discomfort with bright light, joint pain, drowsiness and confusion (mental changes) are addition then a diagnosis is a must.

Need to take proper precaution as it is a contagious disease which spreads through coughing, sneezing and direct contact with the infected person (kissing).

As I mention always that "Preventing is better that Medication." The prevention measure is vaccination. Vaccinate your child against Meningococcal meningitis and safeguard your child. The Indian Academy of Pediatrics recommends the MCV Vaccine in two doses, first dose at 9 months and the second dose at 4 years.

After the proper research, I was convinced and have booked the vaccination appointment for my son. After knowing about meningitis I thought to share the risk factors and want to create awareness for all the new moms to be alert and opt for life rather than death and long term disability.

No comments:

Post a Comment