Thursday 6 August 2015

Delicate Threads Of Raksha

Brother Brother! Who really is a brother? Is he a male who protects and takes care of a female in the family or a sibling who is bound by the thread of family? I am a girl who has two sisters and lots of cousin brothers. But I never really felt the zeal of Raksha Bandhan.


Every year when this lovely festival of Raksha Bandhan arrived, I consoled myself with numerous reasons and went ahead with the demands of the festivities of buying lots of lovely rakhis, toiling in the kitchen to make Indian sweets and try to get some happiness and joy from the fact that even cousin brothers are brothers.

Whenever I thought of my memories of Raksha Bandhan, I just thought about it as a festival and nothing more. I’ve read in numerous books and head many stories about what a pure and sacred ceremony a mere tying of a thread on a brothers hand is. It is not just an occasion of exchanging gifts or a day to dress up or even a day to party…. It is a prayer a sister makes for her brother's long life and his well-being while in the brother vows to protect and standby his sister at all times of need and otherwise.

Inspite of numerous male cousins, I never felt that bond with anyone until my sister got married. In her marriage I found a man who was in true sense a brother I never had. My brother-in-law became the pillar of strength to our family, guiding us through the various ups and downs of family life. On the threshold of my marriage, he was the one running around, doing everything by him, involved in every bit of organizing and executing.

That was the very time I realised what a wonderful man her is… quietly filling the void in our lives; that of a son, a brother and a support system. He is the person I lean on whenever I need to discuss something, vent out my frustrations and even when I just want to relax. Over the years I have started to depend on him so much, it is surprisingly more than what I depend on my sister for.
Very few relationships are those that can be tied with s thread so delicate and I am glad I’ve found the one person who will cherish this bond for a lifetime.

As the gorgeous festival of Raksha Bandhan nears, I am going to get #MySiblingRocks some gorgeous gifts from an Indian Gift Portal to celebrate our bond.

1 comment: